Rationale: The B.Sc Adult and Continuing Education is designed to meet the following:
- the increase in demand for Adult and Non-formal education workers in different areas of life
- the need for adult educators in different organizations, institutions and schools.
The products of these programmes will fulfill the manpower requirements in the ministries, schools, local governments, departments, community development, social work, adult education agencies, rural development, the mass media, units of ministries of agriculture, industries and financial institutions.
The main objective of B.Sc. Adult and Continuing Education is to train personnel in Adult and Continuing Education in the areas of Accountancy, Political Science, Economics, Mass Communication, and Marketing. The B.Sc Adult Education combined with a specialist area will provide in-depth study in these areas.
The entry qualifications to the programme are:
- Five Credit pass in WASC, GCE/O/L, NECO, NABTEB, TC II or any other equivalent certificate at ordinary level (as approved by the university), which must include a credit pass in English and also credit pass in Mathematics in not more than two sittings, Teachers Grade two with credit or merit passes in relevant five subjects.
- Candidates for Accountancy, Marketing and Economics must however have credit passes in Mathematics and Economics.
- Candidates for Mass Communication must possess credit pass in English Language
- Direct Entry will be offered to candidates with NCE, OND, University Diploma and Advance level GCE, NECO or NABTEB in relevant arears for a three-year programme. The candidates must aslo meet the UMTE University Requirements.
STRUCTURE OF THE PROGRAMME
The course will consist of core (compulsory) courses in Adult Education, restricted electives from subject areas of specialization , optional electives and courses from general studies.
THREE YEAR PROGRAMME IN ADULT AND CONTINUING EDUCATION
This will be for those admitted through Direct Entry. The programme is the same as those of four years but starting from year two except that in their first year they have to include all first adult and continuing education courses and two general studies courses. They will not take all the core education courses taken in year two.
REGISTRATION OF STUDENTS
- A Candidate shall be regarded as a bona fide student of Nnamdi Azikiwe University from the point in time when he would have undergone the full process of registration and matriculation.
- A full-time student of the Nnamdi Azikiwe University shall not attend to a full-time job at the same time
- Every student must register at the beginning of each session to retain studentship of the university.
- Registration exercise for each academic session shall take place withing the period so designated in the calendar of events for the first semester of that session
- Only bona fide students of the university shall be issues with student identity card.
- All activities and case management functions of the Nnamdi Azikiwe University are executed online by logging on to the university portal, portal.unizik.edu.ng