The Philosophy and Objectives of the Department
The Philosophy of Educational Management is the acquisition of appropriate managerial skills, abilities and competences such that the prospective educational managers would better understand human behaviour and interrelationships.
The B.Ed degree programme is the amalgamation of the course in Educational Administration and Educational Planning. The merger of the courses in Educational Administration and Educational Planning has resulted in the new code EDM, which is used throughout the B.Ed degree programme where relevant. This means that the new nomenclature covers Educational Administration and Planning.
This Philosophy is further enhanced by the National Policy on education, which is based on the general aspirations of Nigeria as contained in Section 1, paragraph 3 of the policy which states as follows.
- A free and democratic society
- A just and egalitarian society
- A united, strong and self-reliant nations
- A great and dynamic economy
- A land full of bright opportunity is for all citizens
To make the Educational Management philosophy functional, the National Policy on Education, section 5 & 9 provides further details on the above goals under Higher Education. The provisions as contained in sections 5 are as follows:
- The acquisition, development and inculcation of proper value-orientation for the survival of the individual and society;
- The development of the intellectual capacities of individuals to understand and appreciate their local external environments;
- The acquisition of both physical and intellectual skills which will enable individuals to be self reliant and useful members of the society
- The acquisition of an objective view of the local and external environments.
- Promoting and encouraging scholarship and community service
- Forging and cementing national unity
- Promoting national and international understanding and interaction
- Contributing to national development through high-level relevant manpower training
In addition to the traditional roles of the educational institutions namely:
- The dissemination of existing and new information
- The pursuit of service to the community
- Being storehouse of knowledge.
Educational Management and Policy has the following objectives:
- Provide highly motivated, conscientious and efficient education managers for all levels of the education system
- Encourage further the spirit of enquiry and creativity in teachers
- Help Educational managers to fit into the social life of the Community and society at large and enhance commitment to National objectives
- Provide educational managers with the intellectual and professional background adequate for their assignment and to make them adaptable to any changing situation, not only in the life of their country but also in the wider world.
- Enhance teachers’ commitment to the teaching profession to make them adequate for their assignments and to make them adaptable to any changing situation.
- Produce highly efficient and conscientious classroom teachers who would manage classrooms in a way that will motivate and enhance learning.
- Develop skills and knowledge to those who will manage the educational system and
- Prepare various categories of workers in the education industry for further studies in management.